Bathroom Renovation: Small Storage


I have been on the hunt for some storage solutions for my lovely new bathroom cupboard. Sure, I could just put things on the shelves but where's the fun in that?  Besides, this would mean a very messy cupboard very quickly.  I simply cannot have flannels mixed in with shampoo and cotton buds.  Everything in it's place and a place for everything, right??

Before you buy anything make sure you measure your cupboard.  But wait! Don't measure the outside dimensions, it's all about what's on the inside.  My cupboard has been set into a chimney breast (genius idea) and the outside dimensions are 100 x 80 x 25 cm.  However, when you open the doors you'll see that there is an MDF framework inside that cuts a couple of cms off the width and height and you have to measure the space between the shelves to make sure your boxes and baskets fit.  Another consideration is the hinges at the top and bottom of the cupboard on both sides.  I'm having three shelves and the width of the top and bottom shelves is 5cm smaller than the middle shelf because of the hinges so bare that in mind.  What is bizarre is that the depth of the cupboard measures 5cm bigger than when measured from the outside.  A bonus obviously but how or why this has happened I could not say! Having measured the internal dimensions my shelves can accommodate baskets and boxes of up to H 31cm, W 72 - 77cm and D 30cm.

Size Matters.  It may sound a bit OTT but it really pays to measure the height of your lotions and potions.  Most toiletries don't take up a huge amount of space width or depth wise but height can be an issue.  I had already measured the biggest bottles of shampoo/conditioner/bubble bath I use before designing the cupboard so I knew I needed to have a least one shelf that these could fit onto.  In the end, however, I decided to make all the shelves the same height, better to have too much height than not enough and you can always stack storage within them or add in a shelf organiser.

Really think about what you're going to be storing in your cupboard, what needs to be kept together and how much of each 'category' you have/likely to have.  My cupboard has to store the following items that are not in current use and/or not used on a daily basis (you'll need to make sure you have space for toothbrushes, toothpaste and other daily use toiletries outside of the cupboard as no-one wants to be constantly collecting a ton of items from the cupboard every single day!)

Towels
Facecloths
Shampoo/Conditioner
Body washes/lotions/Soaps
Toothpaste and Toothbrushes
Lotions and potions
Menstrual Products
Cotton wool/buds
Makeup
Toiletry bags
First Aid Kit
Toilet rolls


There is a huge amount of small storage solutions to choose from across a broad range of prices. At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards open cylindrical baskets.  I've trawled the internet so you don't have to and all of the ones shown here are suitable for the size of my shelves mentioned above. 


24 x 30, 21 x 26, 19 x 22cm


12.5 x 12.5, 17.5 x 17.5, 22.5 x 22.5, 27.5 x 27.5cm
21 x 23 cm
21 x 30 cm
15 x 15, 20 x 20, 25 x 25cm
25 x 30cm
30 x 27 cm

But which to choose?  This selection is only the tip of the iceberg.  With so many lovely designs and shapes to choose from I'm beginning to think that I'm going to need a bigger cupboard.  Or maybe some open shelves, I'm sure I could squeeze one or two in the bathroom somewhere, seems a shame to hide them away in a cupboard! 

































Comments

Popular Posts