Style Crush : Jane Foster





Ahh Jane Foster of Jane Foster Designs.  So fresh, so clean, so cheerful.  Perfect for livening up a dreary January afternoon.

I have known Jane Foster, or rather Jane Foster's work for years without even knowing it.
My daughter was given a rather lovey glass for Christmas one year which had a big bright red fox printed onto it.  Sometime later I received a beautiful magenta rabbit mug as a mother's day gift.  Turns out they were designed by Jane Foster.  Ooo I thought, her stuff is groovy, what else does she do? So I looked her up and the penny dropped.  Aha! I recognise that book.  Wait a minute! I've seen that tea towel before and look, there's that coaster I bought for missy whatserface a few birthdays ago.  Jane! my old friend, it was you all along.

Jane's designs are simple and bold and there is something safe and comforting in the chunky black lines and primary colours that she uses in her illustrations.  I was born in the same year as Jane and when she talks about some of the influences for her designs - Dick Bruna and 60s & 70s print to name a few - it conjures up images of my own childhood and feeds my love of retro. 

Her work is an embodiment of her own personal style.  Her house is a bright white canvas punctuated perfectly with strong colour and has a mid century feel to it.  Her outfits are all clean lines in primary colours, monochrome stripes or polka dots topped off with a strikingly jet black geometrical bob that gives a nod to Vidal Sassoon.  She looks fun and cool and ready to get set go! and I love her pure unadulterated style with my whole heart.



Here are some of Jane's designs, past* and present**








*check out ebay for gems from the past 
** for current products Jane Foster DesignsJane Foster Etsy ShopMake International and various independent stockists

Comments

Popular Posts